Studies have shown that candidates that are female and/or BIPOC are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet all the qualifications, they find in the job description. We are seeking the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be a person who comes from a less traditional background. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every minimum qualification described or are unsure if your experience could be considered related experience. Bilingual English/Spanish Encouraged
Title: Workstation Support Specialist
Position Classification: Workstation Support Specialist
Department: Technology Services
Reports to: Technology Services Director
ABOUT OREGON CASCADES WEST COUNCIL OF GOVERNMENTS (OCWCOG)
OCWCOG manages a variety of local, State, and Federal programs to serve residents, local governments, and businesses in our tri-County Region. OCWCOG is recognized by the State of Oregon as an Area Commission on Transportation (ACT) and a Type B Medicaid Transfer Agency. Additionally, the association is recognized by the Federal Government as an Area Agency on Aging (AAA), an Economic Development District (EDD), an Economic Development Revolving Loan Fund Coordinator, a U.S. Department of Agriculture Revolving Loan Agency, and staffs the two Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) in the Region. These designations increase OCWCOG’s ability to serve our communities’ needs.
As an Oregon intergovernmental entity, in addition to the programs and services that OCWCOG is required by State or Federal contract to provide, OCWCOG helps businesses find appropriate capital; facilitates seniors and persons with disabilities plan for independent living; coordinates local road improvement priorities; and assists with administration and technical support for its member governments.
Each program works towards OCWCOG’s mission of helping the Region’s communities collaborate to solve problems and connect member governments, businesses, and individuals with a wide array of resources.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Provides technical support to both agency and organizations under contract. This position uses the department's technology support system to identify and track hardware, software, telephone, and hand-held device issues. Installs and maintains desktop level hardware and software as required.
Essential Job Expectation: The employee shall comply with all federal, state, and local laws, regulations, executive orders, and ordinances. The employee expressly agrees to comply with OCWCOG policy and privacy practices to ensure the privacy of client information, which includes but is not limited to Personally Identifiable Information, Protected Health Information, and compliance with Title II, Subtitle F of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- 60% - Customer Service and Assistance
Workstation support and administration
- Tier 1 Help Desk support
- Ensure full documentation of all tickets including detailed notes of all steps taken prior to escalation
- Create and post user self-help documents; provide basic user training as needed
- Ensure all Help Desk and user self-help documentation is accurate
- Provide desktop operating system troubleshooting and support
- Provide desktop, laptop, remote and mobile support
- Provide general user account management troubleshooting and support
- Assist with printer and multifunction device troubleshooting and support
- Act as the primary point-of-contact for the Technology Services team while providing excellent communication and customer service
- Assist with staff on-boarding, orientation, staff moves and off-boarding support
- Assist with major, agency-wide hardware and software upgrades, testing and replacement
- Assist with hardware inventory and asset control
- Ensure all devices free of all data prior to decommissioning and surplus
- Place and track service requests on equipment as necessary
20% - Operations
- Assist and support the Technology Services team through daily assignment, interaction and operations
- Assist with general applications support and administration
- Assist with analysis and troubleshooting of software errors/diagnostic messages
- Diagnose and resolve desktop technology issues including computer, software, Internet, telephone, printers, tablets, smart phones, and similar devices approved for business use
- Assist with software licensing and inventory control
- Interface with colleagues and technicians in other agencies, jurisdictions, and third-party providers
10% - Systems
- Assist with new computer and telephone installation, including operating systems, software applications, patches, updates, and associated wiring or wireless connections and business processes
- Assist with deployments of new on-premise and cloud technology solutions for the agency and its customers
10% - Training, Professional Development, and Planning
- Attend regular industry training and obtain certifications to remain current with technology services and solutions, as assigned
- Provide input on technical training necessary to meet the needs of the section and agency
OTHER JOB DUTIES
- Performs position duties in a manner that promotes customer service and harmonious working relationships, including treating all persons courteously and respectfully.
- Engages in effective team participation through willingness to assist and support co-workers, supervisors, and other work related-associations.
- Develops good working relationships with division and agency staff and supervisors through active participation in accomplishing group projects and in identifying and resolving problems in a constructive manner.
- Demonstrates positive acceptance of constructive feedback and suggestions, in an effort to strengthen work performance.
- Contributes to a positive, respectful and productive work atmosphere.
- Regular attendance is required to meet the demands of this job and to provide necessary services.
- Serves on various committees, as assigned.
- Maintains knowledge of software requirements and related equipment for planned systems.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Receives general supervision from the Technical Services Director.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
Work is performed primarily indoors with frequent travel to outlying offices. Typical environment is diverse with multiple vendors, multiple sites, and distributed needs within the agency and sites under contract.
Work requires bending, stooping and crawling in order to install and/or repair computer equipment, as well as hand/eye coordination in the operations of computers and related equipment.
Job requires some evening and weekend work as needed.
Experience & Training
Three (3) years of information systems experience in desktop support and customer service;
OR An Associate's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field, OR completion of a two (2) year accredited vocational training program in information technology or related field;
AND One (1) year of information systems experience in desktop support and customer service.
OR a combination of both education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft 365 (Excel, Word, Outlook, Teams) software;
- Knowledge of web editors and publishers;
- Knowledge of programming methods including relational databases;
- Knowledge and skills in maintaining computer equipment including testing and replacing defective hardware, hardware configuration and installing operating systems or application software in a network environment;
- Knowledge of phone systems;
- Knowledge of wireless access and virtual private networks;
- Knowledge of document retention policies and practices;
- Knowledge of confidentiality rules and HIPAA security;
- Knowledge of project management;
- Knowledge of Internet systems including web servers, DNS configuration, TCP/IP configuration and routing principles;
- Knowledge of network security including Firewalls, virus protection and security policies;
- Knowledge of document retention policy and practices;
- Knowledge of Windows Server Systems;
- Working knowledge of network fundamentals obtained through a CompTIA Network + certification or equivalent education or experience;
- Ability to operate a personal computer in a network environment;
- Ability to perform maintenance tasks using remote access techniques;
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks, handle multiple projects and a high volume of work;
- Ability to follow complex technical instructions, both verbal and written;
- Ability to communicate both verbally, and in writing, on technical issues to technical and non-technical staff in a personable and professional manner;
- Ability to use innovative and creative approaches to problem solving;
- Ability to respond in a courteous and efficient manner to inquiries from the public and staff;
- Ability to present to members, other agency staff, and the public a professional image which instills confidence and always reflects well upon the agency and agency administration;
- Ability to identify and refer significant policy inquiries to supervisor or appropriate staff;
- Physical ability to lift and move computers and peripherals (up to 50 pounds), with or without assistance, climb ladders, bend and stoop;
- Manual dexterity sufficient to manipulate a variety of small hand tools used to install, build, test, and diagnose computers, wiring and equipment.
Licenses, Certificates, & Other Requirements
Must have a valid Oregon Driver's License and ability to travel for on site to assistance and delivery of equipment.
Must successfully complete a criminal background history check.
Must successfully complete CJIS clearance and pass CJIS certification within 60 days of employment.
Must have COMPTIA A+ and/or Network+ certifications or the equivalent. May require additional certifications to meet agency needs for changes in technology.
Must be available for work at or before 8:00 a.m. and available for occasional weekend and after-hours work.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee occupying this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and abilities. To successfully perform this job, the employee will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
Starting salary is $4221-$5661/monthly DOQE. A step increase will be awarded upon successful completion of a probationary period (typically six months), and then annually thereafter to the top of the range. OCWCOG offers an attractive benefits package including:
Retirement – OCWCOG pays both the employer’s percentage, and employee’s six percent (6%) contribution into the Oregon Public Employees System (PERS). In addition to PERS, OCWCOG pays into Social Security.
Insurance – For select plans, OCWCOG currently pays one hundred percent (100%) of the insurance premiums for the employee and their eligible dependents. The insurance package includes medical, prescription, dental and vision coverage, alternative care, life, accidental death and dismemberment, as well as long-term care.
Holiday Leave – OCWCOG provides eleven and one half (11 ½) fixed holidays, plus two (2) personal days during each fiscal year.
Additional Benefits – Deferred compensation options, Long-term care Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Credit Union memberships, and options to participate in pre-tax Health Savings Account or Flexible Spending Account.
Sick Leave – Full-time employees accrue eight (8) hours of sick leave each month.
Vacation Leave – Full-time employees accrue vacation leave each month according to the following schedule:
0-36 months - 8 hours/month
37-72 months - 10 hours/month
73-144 months - 14 hours/month
145 months and above - 16 hours/month
This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), pursuant to Article 14 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
You must submit the following application materials to be considered as a viable candidate:
- A current resume that clearly describes your experience, skills, and/or knowledge related to the requirements of the position and demonstrates that you meet qualifications of the position listed above.
- A cover letter explaining how your background, experience and training qualify you for this position. Please describe your experience and training specifically as they relate to the Desired Attributes.
If you are an eligible veteran and wish to claim veterans’ preference points AND you also meet the minimum qualifications for this position, the points will be added to your score. To receive veterans’ preference points, you MUST attach to your application materials the following required documentation:
• A copy of your DD214/DD215 form; OR a letter from the US Dept of Veteran’s Affairs indicating you receive a non-service connected pension for the five (5) point preference.
• A copy of your DD214/DD215 form; AND a copy of your veteran’s disability preference letter from the Dept. of Veterans’ Affairs for the ten (10) point preference.
If you have any questions, please contact HR at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please include the position title and the posting number #202332.
To apply scroll down to the bottom and click Apply.