Studies have shown that candidates that are female and/or BIPOC are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet all of the qualifications, they find in the job description. We are seeking the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be a person who comes from a less traditional background. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every minimum qualification described or are unsure if your experience could be considered related experience. Bilingual English/Spanish Encouraged
ABOUT OREGON CASCADES WEST COUNCIL OF GOVERNMENTS (OCWCOG)
OCWCOG manages a variety of local, State, and Federal programs to serve residents, local governments, and businesses in our tri-County Region. OCWCOG is recognized by the State of Oregon as an Area Commission on Transportation (ACT) and a Type B Medicaid Transfer Agency. Additionally, the association is recognized by the Federal Government as an Area Agency on Aging (AAA), an Economic Development District (EDD), an Economic Development Revolving Loan Fund Coordinator, a U.S. Department of Agriculture Revolving Loan Agency, and staffs the two Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) in the Region. These designations increase OCWCOG’s ability to serve our communities’ needs.
As an Oregon intergovernmental entity, in addition to the programs and services that OCWCOG is required by State or Federal contract to provide, OCWCOG helps businesses find appropriate capital; facilitates seniors and persons with disabilities plan for independent living; coordinates local road improvement priorities; and assists with administration and technical support for its member governments.
Each program works towards OCWCOG’s mission of helping the Region’s communities collaborate to solve problems and connect member governments, businesses, and individuals with a wide array of resources.
TITLE: Office Support Specialist/Reception Backup
CLASS: Clerical Specialist
Program: Senior & Disability Services Toledo
Reports to: Senior and Disability Services Program Supervisor
3 Regular Full-Time (40 hrs/wk)
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Serves as a back-up receptionist (first point of contact for OCWCOG and consumers). Provides phone and front desk backup reception and a variety of other clerical duties in support of the Albany Senior and Disability Services programs. Routinely handles confidential information.
Performs position duties in a manner that promotes customer service and harmonious working relationships, including treating all persons courteously and respectfully. Engages in effective team participation through willingness to assist and support co-workers, supervisors, and other work-related associations. Develops good working relationships with division and agency staff and supervisors through active participation in accomplishing group projects and in identifying and resolving problems in a constructive manner. Demonstrates positive acceptance of constructive feedback and suggestions, to strengthen work performance. Contributes to a positive, respectful, and productive work atmosphere. Regular attendance is required to meet the demands of this job and to provide necessary services. This position is a Mandatory Reporter by statutory requirement.
- ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
30% - 70% of Job duties – When at reception:
- Performs walk-in and multi-line telephone reception for Albany Senior and Disability Services
- Issues EBT cards.
- Opens, date stamps, and distributes mail, including Shuttle mail.
- Responsible for opening and closing reception, including necessary locked drawers.
- Opens morning voicemails and notifies appropriate supervisors and coworkers when staff have called in.
- Receive shipments of packages for all departments and notify same of arrivals.
- Receive, date stamp, and scan/distribute client paperwork.
- Hand out/mail Provider Applications.
50% of Job duties –Clerical Support
OTHER JOB DUTIES
5% Ad hoc duties/projects as needed.
5% Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor. Includes backup for Employee Resource connection (ERC), and may include visiting with consumers to discuss employer responsibilities.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment utilizing a personal computer, telephone and a variety of office equipment. Position requires sitting and the work area requires constantly getting up and down and performing extensive telephone and computer work with frequent interruptions. Occasional travel may be required to pick up meeting supplies, mail, or run errands for the program.
Receives general supervision from the Senior & Disability Services Clerical Supervisor.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
Experience & Training
Completion of high school, or equivalent, and one year of clerical experience; OR, any satisfactory equivalent combination of education, experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of confidentiality rules regarding client and provider records, including HIPAA regulations;
- Knowledge of, and ability to operate, a personal computer;
- Knowledge of, and experience in, Microsoft software;
- Knowledge of general office practices;
- Knowledge of spelling and business grammar;
- Knowledge of and ability to use state terminal system;
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to operate a variety of standard office machines;
- Ability to operate a multi-line telephone system;
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to work independently and effectively handle multiple tasks, paying attention to detail;
- Ability to type accurately at 50 wpm;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Skills in performing detailed and complex clerical tasks.
Licenses, Certificates, & Other Requirements
- Possession of a Valid Oregon Driver’s License, or the ability to obtain reliable transportation in order to travel throughout the area.
- Position requires successful completion of a criminal history check.
- Required to use bilingual skills in a conversational, interpretation, or translation setting to ensure the timeliness of operations in the unit or another COG unit
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee occupying this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and abilities. To successfully perform this job, the employee will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
Starting salary is $16.54- $22.18/hourly DOQE. A step increase will be awarded upon successful completion of a probationary period (typically six months), and then annually thereafter to the top of the range. OCWCOG offers an attractive benefits package including:
Retirement – OCWCOG pays both the employer’s percentage, and employee’s six percent (6%) contribution into the Oregon Public Employees System (PERS). In addition to PERS, OCWCOG pays into Social Security.
Insurance – For select plans, OCWCOG currently pays one hundred percent (100%) of the insurance premiums for the employee and their eligible dependents. The insurance package includes medical, prescription, dental and vision coverage, , life, accidental death and dismemberment, long term disability .
Holiday Leave – OCWCOG provides eleven and one half (11 ½) fixed holidays, plus two (2) personal days during each fiscal year.
Additional Benefits – Deferred compensation options, Long-term care Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Credit Union memberships, and options to participate in pre-tax Health Savings Account or Flexible Spending Account.
Sick Leave – Full-time employees accrue eight (8) hours of sick leave each month.
Vacation Leave – Full-time employees accrue vacation leave each month according to the following schedule:
0-36 months - 8 hours/month
37-72 months - 10 hours/month
73-144 months - 14 hours/month
145 months and above - 16 hours/month
This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
You must submit the following application materials to be considered as a viable candidate:
1. A completed application and current resume that clearly describes your experience, skills, and/or knowledge related to the requirements of the position and demonstrates that you meet qualifications of the position listed above.
2. A cover letter explaining how your background, experience and training qualify you for this position. Please describe your experience and training specifically as they relate to the Minimum Qualifications.
If you are an eligible veteran and wish to claim veterans’ preference points AND you also meet the minimum qualifications for this position, the points will be added to your score. To receive veterans’ preference points, you MUST attach to your application materials the following required documentation:
• A copy of your DD214/DD215 form; OR a letter from the US Department of Veteran’s Affairs indicating you receive a non-service connected pension for the five (5) point preference.
• A copy of your DD214/DD215 form; AND a copy of your veteran’s disability preference letter from the Dept. of Veterans’ Affairs for the ten (10) point preference.
OCWCOG provides veterans’ preference in employment to all eligible veterans. For more information, please go to the State website:
OCWCOG is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer and is strongly committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce. Assistance will be provided in the recruitment, application and selection process to applicants with disabilities who request such assistance. Please call (541) 967-8720 as early as possible regarding any assistance you may require.
If you have any questions please contact HR at email@example.com. In the subject line please include the position title and the posting number.
OCWCOG will review application as they are received and may close the recruitment at any time as positions are filled.
To apply scroll down to the bottom and click Apply.
The Posting Number for this position is 202327